Friday, March 19, 2010

FO's and New Starts

I finished a little set for my sister-in-law. She and I went to JoAnn's and she picked out some REALLY pretty Sugar n'Creme yarn, so I knitted up two dishcloths (one garter stitch, one "double bump" to show off the stripes.) I also made her a little holder for her Starbucks. It was the first time I made anything quite like that, and it's pretty pathetic. So, I promised her that since she's stuck with the first one, she'll also get the first 'perfect-ish' one that I make. :)

I found the Seaman's Church Institute, so I will be starting on a Mariner's scarf to donate as soon as I can get some manly yarn. All I have that isn't pink is a silk bamboo yarn that is just NOT right. I also learned of a charity called Handmade Especially for You, which donates scarfs to women living in shelters. It's based out in CA, and I'm thinking that the green silk/bamboo might be perfect for that! I have one skein in green, and one in pink, so I'm thinking about making a scarf using the double bump pattern that is exactly half green and half pink. I bought them because I thought that they looked nice together. It's the kind of thing that I would like to receive, so hopefully someone else will enjoy it as well.

I'm currently looking for a group of knitters to join locally. I've been looking through the Ravelry groups, and there are two that I'm going to try. One is really close to my sister-in-law's home, so I'm thinking I can drop DH over there, and then head out to knit! (Maybe once a month or so.)

Today is pay day at work, and since I'm officially the Payroll Assistant, that means it's my time to shine. Due to the fact that I'm unofficially all things HR, it means that I'm getting ready to be bombarded with questions about other HR stuff, which in all actuality, can wait until Monday when there isn't a line of people waiting for their paycheck. (I've already got everything ready, and am just waiting for the 1pm bell to ring to start handing out the checks. I hate handing them out early.)

Well, I probably should make sure everything is really ready, at least before the onslaught begins. I brought some stuff to make dishcloths, so I can keep my hands busy when the line dies down. I can't actually get any WORK done, since I've got people walking in and out every two minutes.

The old HR person had me stay until 9-10pm on payday, and then again on Saturday mornings if payday fell on a Friday. I would end up spending a lot of time just sitting. Since he was let go, I've found that by making pay hours just from 1-5 on payday, I still get to see everyone, but the whole thing just goes MUCH faster.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your kind words! They really make my day. :)