Thursday, March 25, 2010

I am so very stupid

My husband and I work in the same office. In fact, we sit within 10 feet of each other when we're both actually in the office, and I'm actually sitting at my desk. (Instead of sitting at the desk of the HR Administrator, who doesn't actually exist except for when I pretend to be that person.)

Anyway, since we work together, we share a lunch bag. However, we have different hours, so we do not carpool. (My butt isn't even out of bed when he clocks in at 7am, so forget coming into work with him.) When I finally drag in (usually 9-ish), I am lugging our lunch box. I slip my car and house keys in the side pocket and go on with my day. I always leave before DH does. He is a workaholic, and I am allergic to work, so I am out of here at 5pm at the VERY latest. He stays on and pitches in until at least 5:30, usually 6, often later.

Today however, he had to change the plan. DH decided that he needed to work on my car and his grandmother's car, and he was going to do all this at his grandmother's house. (I'm guessing because he wanted food from her.) Anyway, he left work at 4:30 today, with the lunch box in tow. (He takes the box home, because he's usually here later, and might need a snack.)

Did you catch that... with the lunch box in tow?!?!? OMG, I am here at work without house or car keys. I can't even beg a ride off of someone, because I have NO WAY to get in my house! It's not DH's fault, I don't think that he's aware of where I keep my keys during the day.

Now, I know what you're thinking, just call him up and get him to come and get you. Here's the BEST part! My cell phone died yesterday. It's a touch screen that now won't respond to the gentlest of my caresses or the hardest of my pokes. It's dead dead dead, so I sent it to the people at Sprint this morning, and I am carrying my husband's cell. Ok, I know what you're thinking now, why didn't you call the house? Because we're some of those super cool people without a house phone. Yeah, I wanted to be high tech and just have cell phones. I AM SO STUPID.

Let me guess, you're wondering why I don't call a family member/friend to come and get me? Right? Well, I have no friends. Well, no friends in this state that I feel I can call and have come rescue me. I do have a sister-in-law that I could call, but I'll get to that in a moment. I also have NO family of my own in this town. ALL family members in town are my DH's family, and I just don't feel comfortable calling on them to rescue me. They're not my family, and I couldn't tell you half of their names. It's my job to deal with my family, and his job to deal with his family.

The glaring exception to that is my sister-in-law. She is the BEST. I would honestly consider her more my actual sister, or my best friend than my sister in law. She is the sweetest, coolest, smartest woman I know, and I just think she's the bee's knees. That said, she is a single mom of two gorgeous little girls. I did call her to see if she could rescue me, but she had literally just put dinner in the oven. I can't ask her to pull dinner out, ruin it, and come and save me. No way. So, that's out.

I also called DH's grandmother to see if he was there yet, but alas no. He's supposed to call me as soon as he gets there, but he hasn't and it's been WELL over an hour, so Lord only knows where he's at.

So, for now, I'm eating my weight in mints and gum waiting for my SIL to finish dinner or for DH to get to his grandmothers. I have tomorrow off since my mother is coming into town, and I'm surely going to need it!

House phone will be added next week, and I'll be getting a spare pre-paid cell so that when I do something like leave my keys in the lunch bag, I will still be able to leave work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your kind words! They really make my day. :)